This site is lovingly devoted to exploring the incomparable world of silent films. It’s my obsessive dig through early film history, seeking details, asking questions, and hopefully offering fresh perspectives on topics ranging from the art of German Expressionism to those darn banana peels.
Why I Started Silent-ology
I discovered silent film not too long ago. It struck a chord with me that no other genre ever has. It opened my eyes to new forms of expression, new perspectives, and a new appreciation for history–history that can actually be seen. Just think about that! Watching these early films is the closest we can ever get to travelling back in time. No other past era in history had ever been recorded for our eyes. Silent films are an indescribable gift.
The more silents I watched and the more I read about the era the more fascinating it all became–and the more fun information there was to share and discuss. Soon it was clear–I just had to crack open my laptop and start writing about it.
- All Silent-ology content has been written/designed by me, unless stated otherwise. Some of the vintage magazine/newspaper images were also clipped by yours truly.
- Comments (even on older articles) are always welcome!
- If you are interested in using any writing of mine (which is a flattering thought!) please let me know, and please quote me as a source and add a link to my site.
- Not sure where to start? Some of my more popular articles have included:
- I do dabble in Serious, Time-Consuming Research, and am currently doing research for a book on the life and career of Louise Fazenda. If you have any info or know someone who does, please let me know!
- Yes, I do accept review copies of books (preferably nonfiction) and DVDs, so feel free to drop me a line in the contact box below!
My name is Lea and I am a born and raised Minnesotan. I have a degree in English and a parakeet named Pepe, and my great enthusiasm for the underrated silent era is all Buster Keaton’s fault.
Here’s me in a Hollywood hat in front of Grauman’s Chinese Theater (and some strangers):
Want to contact me? Send me a message here: